UI/UX Designer in Singapore

Hi,

A Psychology undergraduate here looking to go into Business as a career, specifically UI/UX Design in Singapore. It’s a pretty new career, so any tips/advice/resources on technical skills, career development, salary would be helpful. Thank you :slight_smile:

Sorry I can’t help much, but I think a UI/UX designer is a good tech role to transition from a non-tech background, if you want to work in this industry without coding, this would be the pathway!

2 Likes

Hey, I am also interested in pursuing UX/UI and in the course of my research, I found that there are the following sites that you might learn more from: 1) Coursera - Google; 2) Skillshare - for UX/UI experts (use the one month free trial to test it); 3) Private companies like General Assembly, Vertical Institute.

Based on my friends who are in the industry, I think pay wise really depends on whether you are working for a start up or an MNCs, and I understand that starting pay is about 3.5K but as you grow in experience, you have promotion opportunities going upwards to 5k. It offers hybrid/flexi working conditions (also dependent on the boss you are working with). Technical skills wise, I heard them mention about the software Figma to work your screens on. Most people think that UX/UI sounds like a designer job, hence needing good visual skills, but I think that can be trained so don’t let that deter you.

Jia you!

Hi there! It’s great that you’re looking to transition into a new career in UI/UX Design in Singapore. While it may be a new career for you, your background in Psychology could be beneficial in this field, as understanding user behavior is a key aspect of UI/UX design. In terms of technical skills, it’s important to have a strong foundation in design principles, as well as knowledge of industry-standard software like Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, or Figma. There are also many online resources like Udemy or Skillshare that offer UI/UX design courses. As for career development, networking is key. Joining professional organizations like the Interaction Design Foundation or attending industry events like UXSG or Design Leaders Conference can help you connect with others in the field and stay up-to-date on industry trends. As for salary, it can vary depending on the company and your level of experience, but Glassdoor can be a helpful resource to research salary ranges for UI/UX designers in Singapore. Best of luck to you!